Feb 8, 2006

More of my 2 cents...

Why can't the United States figure out if its at war?

Does the President decide? Does Congress?

According to my literal reading of the US Constiution, Article I, section 8 gives that power to Congress: "To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water..." That seals it for me.

It seems to me that the last offical war the US was in was World War II. It also seems to me that one of the ways in which the President has recently been grabbing power (e.g. the NSA wiretapping scandal) has been based on claims that the US is at war. Which is it?

One of the surest ways to resolve much of the confusion in Washington right now is to get someone to figure out if we are at war and who gets to say that we are or are not.

Personally, I say that the White House has too much leeway in the use of the military.


On another note:
If you like Star Wars, check out the movies at Dude Studios.

No comments: