Feb 2, 2007

Donating Blood

This week, one of Elana's classmates was diagnosed with Leukemia. He's 35 with a wife and thee kids.
I've never met the guy, but I saw an e-mail that he needs blood. Apparently my B- blood will be okay for someone who has B+.

I'll be going in this afternoon to donate. I hate giving blood. When I was in the Israeli navy, they used lots of peer pressure to have us give blood. (There was a competition between ships as to how much blood could be donated.)

It always makes be feel sick and whoosy, but I understand that is a fraction of what chemo treatment can feel like too. That's why I'm going to suck it up and give. If he has to go through so much hell, I can at the least sacrifice my afternoon and a unit of blood.

I'm named in part for my uncle who died of Leukemia when he was a little boy. I wish I could have known him.

UPDATE:
I gave blood. I'm weak now. (Yes, I know I'm a whimp.) I chatted with 2 other guys giving blood for the same person. Apparently over 20 people gave blood today for him. I may give platlets next time.

No comments: