Mar 30, 2007

Teapacks

One of my favorite Israeli music groups is currently in the middle of a controversy that almost flew completely below my radar because I am here in the US.

It seems that Teapacks, a group that has been around for more than 15 years, has entered a song representing Israel into the Eurovision song contest. Americans are usually clueless about Eurovision, but trust me, it is a big deal to those people across the sea. (You 'Merkins may have heard of the group ABBA-- a Swedish band that won the Eurovision contest in 1974 with the song 'Waterloo'.)

It seems that the Israeli entry song is too controversial. The song "Push the Button" is talking about a crazy terrorist leader who has his finger on "the button". The contest officials object to the oblique political reference to the threats of nuclear annihilation of Israel by Iran's President Ahmadinejad. The band apparently likes the Brouhaha.

Here is one of Teapacks' videos with the roughly translated title of "The Old Central Bus Station". I would have linked to the Youtube videos of the "Push the Button" song, but I frankly don't find the song pleasing to listen to, even if I like the controversy.


(Until an unfortunate trademark dispute Teapacks was spelled "Tippex" just like the correction fluid that Americans know as Whiteout.)

No comments: