Dec 28, 2006

A trip to the aquarium

Last week, Elana, Sarah and I went to an aquarium in San Franscico at the California Academy of Sciences.

Here's what I saw (well, some of it.)

This big guy was about the size and length of Elana. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley.


Well, he's just yellow. There's nothing else to say.


Couple of pics of some cute cherubfish. I loved their colors. (That's colours for you UK readers.)



This catfish was in a tank with piranhas. They ignored him while he was sucking along. In this shot, he's trying to eat a piece of wood. There were other tanks with catfish and they were never labeled like the other fish. We think that the staff used them as tank cleaners.


You think this guy was embarassed exposing his soft underbelly?


If you look closely, there are 2 kids inside a bubble in this picture. This was not some cruel "kids trapped in bubble" exhibit. The tank had more than one window and I took their picture from one floor up and across from them.


I liked how the aquarium had little explainers about the staff and had an exhibit for them (sort of). This was their picture (with names) and all their bios were next to them.


A long-necked turtle. Guess why he's called that.


During a penguin feeding, we saw this docent's legs cut off by the powers of refraction. There were about 50 kids and adults there, but I think I was the only one who thought that the effect of the water on her legs was cooler than the penguins. :)

No comments: